Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 614 price question.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation 614 price question Local Pick up only Craig's List

    I have to move, somewhat unexpectedly & wanted to get you guys'
    opinion on how much I should sell the pair of 614 that you see in my Avatar.. Empty........no drivers included.
    I put them on Craig's list for local pick up only.
    I may be wrong!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question Local Pick up only Craig's List

    Quote Originally Posted by 417 - Alnico View Post
    I have to move, somewhat unexpectedly & wanted to get you guys'
    opinion on how much I should sell the pair of 614 that you see in my Avatar.. Empty........no drivers included.
    I put them on Craig's list for local pick up only.
    Value will be directly proportionate to location.

    On my CL(Binghamton, NY) you'd be very hard pressed to give away empty cabinets, even very good ones. I've had many bonfires as evidence, the most recent being one of eight "big Bertha" 18" folded bass horns.

    As always, and depending on location, YMMV.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question.

    Ought to be enough house bands in Vegas for somebody to want them locally. If you have time, there's probably a local musician's rag you could get an ad in. I'd think anyone with the need would gladly pay a Franklin rather than getting out the saw...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question.

    As always...Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
    What is your opinion on using these as a, 'type of open-back MI' cabinet or part of a PA system. That was my original intent..I just can't crank these, anywhere to sonically test them.For example, like these..that I also am trying to liquidate.
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g212h.htm
    I may be wrong!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question.

    Well, IMO, they're way bigger than need be for open backs, and it would be a waste to chop them up.

    My pair had originally been used with some 811/808s on top (417s inside) as small-club PA mains. Given the obvious miles on them, they must've served that purpose pretty well for the first owner. I just use 'em with the 417s alone for guitar, keys, and vocals, and they're plenty loud for small clubs and gigs.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Re: 614 price question.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Well, IMO, they're way bigger than need be for open backs, and it would be a waste to chop them up.

    My pair had originally been used with some 811/808s on top (417s inside) as small-club PA mains. Given the obvious miles on them, they must've served that purpose pretty well for the first owner. I just use 'em with the 417s alone for guitar, keys, and vocals, and they're plenty loud for small clubs and gigs.
    Oh no, I just think of pop-ing a 417 or a G-125 in there and use it as
    a MI cab, instead of it's intended use. I do not remember what the imput jacks look like though..they are still in their hugh shipping boxes that they arrived in. Do you have a link to a pict of the back side? Are the they not the RCA type input a MI cab would have?
    I may be wrong!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question.

    AFAIK, MI/PA was their intended use. The lit calls them 'utility', but the only Altec driver solution that would even approach HIFI would be a 12" Duplex. I'd bet there've been a lot more 614s loaded with biflexes/600s/417s than anything else.

    Most guys today have forgotten (or never knew) that HIFI was just a sideline for Altec, and a small one at that. Their real biz was MI/PA/theater, and it's little more than coincidence and driver quality/efficiency that so much of the old gear ends up in HIFI apps.

    I don't know if there was an 'original' input setup, when sold as unloaded utility boxes, that would have been left to the user. Whatever suits your needs is best, it's not like anyone that's gonna actually use them would care if they're "original". Only collectors care about that stuff, and who the heck cares about them? RCAs would be my last choice, Speakons first, or 1/4" TS phone plugs, or even screw terminals (or wirenuts).
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation Re: 614 price question.

    Thank you for the reply...as always.
    Jeff
    I may be wrong!

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 614 price question.

    My pair looked original and had screw terminals. They were easily replaced with banana terminals with no cutting etc. Like Bfish said these sound great with Xovers and horns sitting on top. I tried them at home with the 417, 1209 xovers 802-8g drivers on 811 they sounded great. The 417 sounded as tight as a 414. Nice rich Bass. Maybe the Mac 2200 helped to complement the rich sound. I was really surprised how well the 417 performed. It will be nice to play with them before letting them go.

    Tony

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Re: 614 price question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
    My pair looked original and had screw terminals. They were easily replaced with banana terminals with no cutting etc. Like Bfish said these sound great with Xovers and horns sitting on top. I tried them at home with the 417, 1209 xovers 802-8g drivers on 811 they sounded great. The 417 sounded as tight as a 414. Nice rich Bass. Maybe the Mac 2200 helped to complement the rich sound. I was really surprised how well the 417 performed. It will be nice to play with them before letting them go.

    Tony
    Thanks
    I think they are a well kept secret, due to the multplicty of uses they can perform. I may end up taking them to Seattle with me.
    I have them packed & and have not looked at them for so long...
    I have a nice 414 / 917 Ceramic frame with a 417 in it. This 417 has a 414 mesh dust cover on it.
    These frames have the opening, as a heat vent thru the magnet..back -- or bottom side; so to use a 414 type of Dust Cover or Dome...that is..the larger dome that has the screen Mesh..there is a Piece that looks like metal...but turns out to be plastic covering the back or magnets's vent...from the inside; can't have holes..or openings on both sides of the speaker.
    Anyway..in trying to remove this frame from an Avatar cab..the metalic looking plastic plug jars loose; & has some pieces of the plug split off.
    So now I have this awesome cone & frame with a large loose plug that I can not remove from either ends.. and I do not have the skill to remove the large 414 dust dome to remove & or re-glue the plug.
    I also think that the few pieces of glue and / or plastic have lodged in between the VC...so it rubs in a few places. Regular cans of Compressed air do not have the force to blow the particles out.
    So if anyone wants a beautiful Frame..I have one for sale.
    It is 22lbs so shipping will be about $22. I think the frame should be worth $50..I know I paid more than that..If you can fix the speaker ..or even have GP recone it..it may be worth it to you.
    You can have any 12" Altec cone driver installed into this frame.
    I need to cut my losses on this, & I do not want to just throw it away. Jeff
    I may be wrong!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.